Friday, March 11, 2011

Memories are made of This!

My brother-in-law near Malaughlin uses a pick ax to break ice off the creeks so his cattle can drink during winter, so I know that South Dakota farmers are a hardy breed.
But I will never forget the one-handed farmer in Mitchell SD.
It was way back in the mid-70's. I was traveling the country in my blue van - The Blue Moose - and picked up a temporary job in Mitchell, helping put a barbed wire fence around the city dump. I worked with a local farmer who had lost most of one hand in a farm accident. I had trouble keeping up with him. Despite having essentially only one hand, he stretched wire like a champ and hammered away like a machine. He also shared his bologna sandwiches with me.
I hope to revisit these scenes and create new memories when we move to Sioux Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment